Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The sound of Cans sealing... A wonderful sound

Today I am getting ready to can my second batch of salsa and maybe a few more green beans.  I find I love to hear the pop of my jars sealing. I usually pull my jars out the. Head for bed and I find I am listening for the pops.  This year so far we have 31 pints of green beans, 5 quarts of cherry pie filling, 8 half pints of red currant jelly, 9 half pints of strawberry rhubarb jam, and 9 half pints of  triple berry jam. I also have 12 pints of Dilly beans and 10 pints of zucchini salsa. Today I will prep for more zucchini salsa to make tomorrow and as I was picking beans this morning I was trying to decide what to do with them, more pints for us or more dilly beans for us and our friends.  The decisions can be so hard.

We have also been enjoying zucchini bread, rasberries, and strawberries.  My lettuce and herbs are doing great as well. The lettuce, growing happily in the shade doesn't seem to mind our heat and the herbs are nice and prolific for drying for later.  I also managed to pick and dry some red currants for scones or muffins later this year. Wow, those take awhile to dehydrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment